Kansas Business License

You'll need a Kansas business license if you want to start a business in the state and will need to make an application for a business license with the Department of State and your city. Almost all Kansas locations require a city license. It is recommended that you check the requirements with your local city or an experienced business licensing lawyer who is familiar with the legislation. 

When you incorporate in Kansas, you will have to start obtaining your permits and business licenses before you start your business activities. You can do this the following ways:

  • In person in your city office
  • On the phone
  • Through your local city's business website. 

The requirements for licensing will depend on where your business is located and the activities you are planning to carry out. 

It is easy to register your business in Kansas. You can visit the Kansas Department of Revenue section at the Kansas Business License page. You can obtain all your special licenses and Sales Tax certificates online. 

Kansas Business License Application Obligations and Requirements

Most, but not all businesses will need a license. There are no licenses issued by the state because they are managed by cities and municipalities. Many types of businesses will need to obtain regulatory permits before they can operate in the city or region of the state. The regulatory permits commonly requested are:

  • Environment permit
  • Health and safety license
  • Building and construction permit

Some cities have their own business licensing rules, making the process of obtaining the permissions complicated. If you are not familiar with the requirements, you should seek professional legal advice to ensure you are not missing anything.

Some types of businesses are exempt from licensing due to state or federal legislation. 

Once you have incorporated your business, you will be responsible for complying with local government regulations related to permits and licenses. If you fail to follow the rules, you will incur fines and penalties, and – in extreme cases – your business will be closed down. 

You will also need to register for different taxes relevant to your industry. There are 12 different types of taxes in Kansas, and you can apply for them online.

If you hire people to work for you, you will also need to apply for an Employer Identification Number with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. 

You also need to regularly renew your licenses. You will get a renewal notice on the first week of December, and you have until the end of February to send your renewal application. If you fail to return the forms by March 1st, you will be issued a penalty notice. 

Different Types of CT Business Licenses

Depending on your industry, you will need to obtain several licenses. The most common ones are listed below. 

  • Tax permits
  • City business licenses
  • Building permits
  • Occupational permits
  • Signage permits
  • Zoning permits
  • Alarm permits
  • Sales and use tax licenses
  • Seller and reseller licenses
  • Alcohol and tobacco permits

You can check online which permits you need by selecting your industry and profession on the Kansas. gov website. If you want to find out about local licensing requirements, you can check out the Kansas Association of Counties for guidance. 

You can also get in touch with the county clerks and Professional Licensure in Kansas for advice on which permits and licenses you need to apply for. 

How to Register Your Connecticut Business License

To get your license applications started, you first have to register with the Kansas Secretary of State. 

  • If your business is a partnership or a sole proprietorship, you don't need to register.
  • If you form a corporation, you will have to submit your Articles of Incorporation.
  • LLCs need to submit their Articles of Organization to the Kansas Secretary of State.
  • Limited Partnerships must send their Certificates of Limited Partnership.

You will also be required to submit tax licensing applications. 

You can download the registration form for your taxes from the Kansas Department of Revenue website and send it to the following address:

Kansas Department of Revenue 915 SW Harrison Street Topeka, KS 66625-9000

The completed form can also be faxed to 785-291-3614.

The process of registering your business for local taxation takes approximately four weeks. 

If you need help with your Kansas Business License application, you can post your job on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.