Green Card Replacement

Green card replacement is so important because a permanent resident card is evidence of an individual’s legal right to reside in the United States legally. A Green Card is also a legitimate identification that serves as evidence of a person’s ability to live in US. The USCIS Form I-551 or a permanent resident card is an extremely important identification document for an alien national individual that allows for permanent status of residence in this country.

Reason for Replacement of Green Card

Green cards can be replaced. The cards are valid for 10 years and they will expire within a six month timeframe from this 10 year period. The green card holder is a person who has a Permanent Resident Card where the date is not indicated.

An individual who has a conditional permanent resident status that is based on an investment or a marriage will have a Green Card that is valid only for two years. This is true until a petition is filed and accepted that remove the conditions on the status of your residency. A Green Card may be replaced if the conditional one needs to be reissued or if a more permanent one is allowed.

Green Cards that are stolen, lost, or damaged are often replaced. If the individual has a resident card that is provided before the age of 14, then a new one can be issued as it expires at the age of 16.

Replacements are also granted in the case that the Green Card contains information that is inaccurate or incorrect. For example, if the name, issue date, or the date of birth are not correct on the document, then it should be reissued. This sort of problem is called an administration error and will be corrected by the USCIS.

There are also situations where an individual’s name, sex, or other biographical data is changed legally. A new resident card can be issues in this case and also if a person becomes a commuter who lived in Canada or Mexico but travels daily to work in the US.

How to Apply

When a replacement is required, you will need to fill out an Application for Replacement of Permanent Resident Card. This is form I-90. When filling out the form, you must complete it in accordance with the directions that are provided. There will be fees associated with the replacement and you must include all evidence, documents, and data with the filed paperwork.

The application must be signed by you and filed according to the instructions on the document. Specifically, the filing location must be followed closely.

If you want an electronic notification in regard to the Green Card replacement petition or application, then you will need to fill out form G-1145 in addition to the application.

If you file online, then you can check on the processing of the application online as well. You can set up your account to provide you with texts and emails that update you when the status of the application has changed.


When it comes to replacing your Green Card, you will need to fill out the form I-90. Include your signature and supporting evidence and data. To receive electronic notifications, submit the form G-1145.

When you submit your initial paperwork, you will need to be fingerprinting. At this same time, a picture will be taken. Only the picture taken at the time of fingerprinting will be accepted. The form will allow you to add the category that explained the reason for the replacement, so make sure to choose the category correctly.

When you complete your application and file it, you will need to pay a fee of $455. A biometric fee of $85 is required too and includes the fee for taking and processing fingerprints. One the replacement is issue, you will be able to retain the Green Card for 10 years. Make sure to pay attention to the expiration closely as you will need to reapply promptly for renewal.

If you need assistance with your Green Card application or the replacement of the card, then make sure to post a job on the UpCounsel marketplace. We offer legal assistance through the expertise of out vast pool of legal professionals. We accept only the best, meaning you will be served by the top 5 percent of the lawyers in the country who have worked with businesses like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.