What Is a Rescission of Contract Form?
A rescission of contract form is used to restore each party involved in a contract back to the state they were in before the contract went into effect.3 min read
2. What Goes in a Notice of Rescission?
3. Mutual Rescission of a Contract
4. Mutual Rescission Can Be the Framework for Future Agreements
5. Rescission or Cancellation
6. Equitable Means or Legal Remedy
A rescission of contract form is used to restore each party involved in a contract back to the state they were in before the contract went into effect. Rescission of contract sets the contract aside or unmakes it. If the parties to the contract have already performed some of the key tasks agreed to in the contract, a remedy other than rescission is usually necessary. This will typically be a claim requesting restitution.
Ways to Rescind a Contract
There are three main ways parties can rescind a contract.
- The involved parties can simply agree among themselves to rescind the contract.
- The parties can file a case, share the details in court, and let the judge rescind the agreement.
- The parties can employ the services of a rescission firm to determine settlement.
Involved parties must be formally notified with a notice of rescission. The effective date of the rescission is the key data needed, and it can be the date the notices are delivered to each party or a date in the future.
What Goes in a Notice of Rescission?
There are several important details to include in a notice of rescission.
- Names and complete addresses of each party who signed the agreement.
- The date the notice of rescission is sent out to each party.
- Summary of the original agreement.
- Explanation of why the agreement is being rescinded.
- Date the agreement was officially rescinded.
- Details on which method was used to rescind the agreement, such as by judge's orders, mutual agreement, or third-party settlement.
- Signatures of involved parties, witnesses, and mediator.
Mutual Rescission of a Contract
When everyone involved in a contract acts together to unmake it, or set it aside, that's called mutual rescission of a contract. If neither party to a contract has completely fulfilled their obligations and both want to invalidate the agreement, which releases all associated rights and obligations under the contract, a rescission is used to invalidate the agreement. This means:
- Both parties are in agreement about canceling and rescinding the contract.
- Both parties are free of duties and give up all rights because the contract becomes null and void.
The rescission and release agreement details the end of all responsibilities under the contract, and it helps the parties avoid future disputes and misunderstandings. If a claim or legal suit come up later, you still have to deal with it, but the clearly written, precise rescission form helps your case in that event.
Mutual Rescission Can Be the Framework for Future Agreements
While rescission ends the existence of a contract, it sometimes opens a pathway for creating future agreements. It lets both parties review expectations and concerns and can spur discussions about what went wrong the first time, so the parties can avoid those stumbling blocks in the next contract. Some other names for the rescission form are Equitable Rescission and Mutual Rescission of Contract.
Rescission or Cancellation
Some courts use the terms cancellation and rescission interchangeably, while others focus on the word rescission to describe the act of reversing a court decision, reversing a contract, or making something void. As an example, a higher court can reverse a judgment made by a lower court if errors were made in the hearing. With a contract, rescission means the parties must return anything received, returning them to pre-contract status, and it becomes as if there was never a contract at all.
Equitable Means or Legal Remedy
Equitable means or legal remedies are usually the only ways to effect rescission of a contract.
- With equitable means, a court decision voids the contract, and each party is immediately restored to his or her pre-contract state.
- Neither party is awarded damages or anything extra.
- Also, both parties are blocked from pursuing further legal action over the contract.
With legal remedy, the party rescinding the contract gives the other party notice of cancellation or rescission before returning anything received from the contract.
A contract must be fully formed for rescission to take place. If one party lacked understanding or intent, for example, there was never a legal contract formed, meaning a rescission isn't necessary or even possible. Also, there's no such thing as a partial rescission. It's all or nothing, and if a contract is rescinded, every detail of it is rescinded.
If you need help with a rescission of contract form, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.